I recently answered a thread on negotiations and I thought I’d share it with you. Here are my top tips:
MOST IMPORTANT – Make everyone feel like they won. Remember that you are in a negotiation because everyone wants to win. Everyone wants to find common ground and get on something that is good—or at least, acceptable—for all of the parties involved.
- LISTEN more than you speak. Always listen more than you speak so that you have more ammo when you speak! If you talk all the time, you might miss out on finding out what is most important for the other party, and what item you can take that is useful for you but might not seem too much for them. Also be aware of passive-aggressive comments, minor inflections that connote their
confidence level, and of course, lying.
- Don’t be OVERLY PATRONIZING. Don’t give too many compliments, it’s awkward, and it will be obvious you are just trying to win their favour so you can get what you want. It also makes them
- Do your HOMEWORK! Research about the persons/ company that you are negotiating with. Preparedness is a great weapon.
- Know all of your ADVANTAGES and be prepared to use them as leverage. Never come to the table not knowing what you can use to your advantage, this is the key to getting what you want while taking the littlest amount of sacrifice on your end possible.
- Take long, deep breaths, and MODULATE your voice. Stay calm, and remember rule #1.
Ready for your first negotiation? If you need personal advice on building your confidence, you can book a consulting call with me. We can also talk
about your business, your freelance career, or your life goals!
This is the only way I give custom advice, so if you need a third party to hear out how you want to finish 2019 big, I got you. 😉
BTW, if you like this list, also check out this Youtube video.