Let’s be clear. This is not a review. And don’t worry, this blog post won’t contain spoilers. Well, the meaty ones, at least. (If you insist.) I will only talk about my thoughts about the movie…and if you have something to say, please hit the comment box below. Do we have ourselves a deal? Great. Let us begin.
1. MAJOR EYESORE: FAT FILIPINO POLICEMEN. Seriously? Why couldn’t they have placed the fitter ones there? I think it was too “realistic”?
2. As a Filipino, there were a lot of parts of the movie where you’d actually forget that it’s a Hollywood film. And a much awaited, much talked about one.The familiar streets, familiar (sweaty) people and some tagalog…all of these make for a smorgasbord of a multi-sensual experience of Manila.
3. The first time that the movie mentioned “Manila, Philippines”, there was a soft whoop that swept across the cinema house. Oh yes, that was raw kilig. And I, too, felt it. Even when I was too shy to admit it to my seatmate. I even rolled my eyes to feign disinterest.
4. The fight scenes were fucking amazing. I literally held my breath many times all throughout the duration of the film.
5. Story and ending reminded me of Batman (The Dark Knight Rises). When you watch it, you’ll know.
6. I found it funny that when the Filipina woman saw the caucasian girl in her house, she assumed she was a thief. She began shouting “Magnanakaw!” like the director was holding a gun through her head. Seriously? Would that really
happen be likely real life?! I was laughing so hard deep inside.
I was forewarned about it not really having a brilliant plot. After all, they say, the Bourne series are famous for the breathtaking, earth shaking and mind boggling action scenes rather than the pyramid that I always find myself looking for in every movie. Needless to say, it was still very entertaining and the leading lady was so pretty that I kept sighing half of the time. It was one of those movies that will give you a good closure and a happy disposition by the time they roll their credits. Makes you believe that you actually have not wasted P150 AND 2 hours of your life.
A must-watch! Especially for you, fella Filipino!