In my line of work (Marketing, Events and PR), I get to meet a lot of people. These people, most of whom I’ve only worked with for a while (but those whom I have spent good times with), usually invite me over for their special events. And now that Christmas is supah near, I am actually attending nearly 10 Christmas parties…with each demanding a “unisex gift” for the on-the-spot traditional exchanging of gifts.
Before, I used to have a really hard time thinking what I would bring. Last year, I had the same predicament. However, the difference was that I had more parties to attend this year and some of these parties demand more expensive Christmas gift ideas. Here are some of my stellar unisex gift ideas:
1. Designer Pens – Almost everyone in the professional world still gush over the idea of writing, signing and working with a Parker pen. (Yes, including me.) It sends a message that you regard your recipient as an elegant professional and that s/he deserves nothing less.
2. Spa Gift Certificates – Because technology makes us do a lot of things at the same time, expectations also balloon as the possibilities widen. Everyone I know would love to take sometime off and indulge in a massage, facial or just spend some me-time in a peaceful, fragrant and relaxing place. Sounds familiar? Make SPA someone’s Mecca! They’ll thank you for it!
3. Archie Comics – Sure, everyone isn’t a fan of reading. But the truth is, people still love to read…as long as it’s entertaining. There’s a reason why showbiz magazines sell more than specialty sports magazines or Dan Brown books right? With a twist of nostalgia into it, Archie comics make it to the top of the best unisex gift ideas because it’s funny and it’s entertaining. Makes for the best “light reading” one can do this Christmas season.
4. Travel Goods – You may do travel for business or for pleasure but there are still certain travel goods that you painstakingly forget..or that you’d kill to have just to give yourself a more comfortable time as you hit the waves or even just sleep on the plane. Because of this, travel goods such as travel pillow, eye blinders, toiletry kits, and baggage organizers make for great unisex Christmas gifts.
5. Movie Passes – Movie passes are cheap and they’re a pleasure to get. Getting one makes you look forward to spending some time relaxing on a comfortable chair and getting entertained with topnotch audio and visual system. Bonus if you have a date handy during these times! Buy as many as the minimum cost mandates (if it’s P300, you can buy 2!) and give the gift of quality entertainment.
See? Giving unisex gifts this Christmas is not as difficult as it used to be anymore! You may even stock on these things and get it on a discount and give it to everyone you know! Some gifts can be as cheap as P50 (inflatable travel pillow)!
Bonus: To add that personal touch, include a note that makes the gift relevant to your recipient’s life. For example, you’re giving a spa GC to an executive, write “For the over achieving busybee who deserves a little time off” and sign with a smiley. For the punk kid who gets the movie passes, say “Look forward to your next action film! Merry Christmas!” Most of the time, these messages mean more to the recipient than your gift. The best part: they’re free.