There is no substitute to real experience and knowledge in marketing, advertising, and PR.
I feel bad for small brick-and-mortar businesses who hire “Marketing Officers” who think that “marketing” is simply social media, or online. Post a few Facebook updates and call it “marketing”, LOL.
In the same light, I am disgusted at “social media managers” and “digital marketers” who parade as “Marketing Experts” and think that every marketing or ad problem can only be solved through online marketing.
So for my friends who own businesses and are thinking of hiring a consultant or a full-time Marketing Officer, here are a few questions to ask during the interview:
– Tell me about your Top 3 Best Marketing campaigns, and for which companies.
– Tell me about your Top 3 Worst Marketing campaigns. What went wrong with them?
– How do you usually do your research?
– How long have you been doing Marketing and Advertising?
– What do you think of our brand?
– What kind of marketing campaign would you have us do first if we are to hire you? (At this point, s/he should be asking more questions rather than come up with an automatic answer. Remember— prescription without diagnosis is malpractice.)
Better hire consultants who have experience across different channels, and those who invest in research and data gathering rather than waste your money on trial-and-errors.
Honestly, the costs are the same. Plus, you get to save time micromanaging a person who is with you full time, but not even half as good.
Most skilled consultants will take their experiences in several industries in yours, and you will have great edge over your competitors when you have someone like this on your side. Moreover, consultants are very output driven, have high morale, generally more confident, and efficient users of time, so their good habits will also rub off on you.
Ready to hire your marketing ninja right now? 🙂
On your first meeting with a consultant or a business owner — depends which side of the coin you’re at — check out this blog about winning first impressions.