1. You have to have a lot of hearts. Have the heart to forgive, to understand, everytime he appears too busy for something you deem important. But know in your heart, and in the heart of your hearts, that while his heart also beats for you, it also beats fiercely everytime a bid comes to an end. Or everytime a huge client tells him they’re not saying no but want to negotiate. Everytime there’s a delayed paycheck that he never foresaw. Have several hearts that take the place of one another everytime one gives up. Give a whole new meaning to ‘having some heart’.
2. Remember, he is not yours. From the day you called each other one another’s, know that this is just a facade. Let me say that again: he is NOT yours. While you both agree that you bestow upon yourselves some proprietary basics, he has to give equal attention to his clients, who never fail to demand what they think they deserve. To his prospects, who are always quick to judge, but lucky you, sometimes, they are also quick to trust. To his colleagues, who measure up to him. To his competitors, to remind him that they’re there and everyone is just as good as their last project. He is not yours. The thing is…he never tells you this.
3. His brand of romance is different; get used to it. It’s irregular. Abnormal, even. He may not say “I love you”, or “I’m sorry” when he needs to but do not be surprised when you find new jewelry, a booked trip, a new gadget, or him suddenly leaving his “deliverables” untouched to go watch a romantic comedy movie with you. Accept that in your relationship, he can never be good with words, but that doesn’t mean he cannot be good enough for you.
4. Prepare an enormous supply of energy to listen, affirm and pick up whatever he leaves behind…may they be broken pieces of his career expectations or dirty laundry sitting around your bedroom. Train your feet to tiptoe around him when he’s having a bad day. Have enough energy to be patient, to understand that a lot of the thigns you do may end up thankless. Do them anyway. Summon enough power to remember that he sees all of them, but maybe hasn’t figured out yet how to repay you.
5. Lastly, keep in mind that even when he forgets to tell you—and don’t take this against him—YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL. You are as beautiful as the life he wants to give you.